Impact of Advertising on Branding in Small Towns and Villages of India
Keywords:Advertising, Branding Relationship, Personal Care Products
The consumer base for the Indian rural and semi-urban markets has been largely ignored by advertising practices. Specifically, the personal care products and their advertising practises are influenced by personality and individual perceptions. This paper reports the observations of the study conducted to identify the impact of advertising practices on branding of personal care products. It was found that advertising, suitability of content and advertisement media have no significant impact on the branding of personal care products in small towns and villages of India.
2. Agres, S. J., & Dubritsky, A. M. (1996). Changing needs for brands. Journal of Advertising Research, 36(1), 21–30.
3. Badugu, D., & Chauhan, S. S. (2011). Understanding the Indian rural market potential. Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 1(6), 68-82.
4. Baldridge, J. (1996). Reconciling linguistic diversity: the history and the future of language policy in India. University of Toledo. Retrieved from http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~jason2/papers/natlang.htm Accessed Oct. 27, 2015.
5. Brengman, M., Geuens, M., & Pelsmacker, P. D. (2001). The impact of consumer characteristics and campaign related factors on brand confusion in print advertising. Journal of Marketing Communications, 7(4), 231-243.
6. Census of India. (2011). Provisional population totals urban agglomerations and cities. Retrieved from http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prove-results/paper2/data_files/India2/1.%20Data%20Highlight.pdf Accessed February 2, 2015.
7. Chaudhary, S. V. (2013). Corporate initiatives and innovations in rural market of India. Retrieved from http://www.indianmba.com/ Faculty_ Column/ FC1520/fc1520.html (Accessed December 05, 2015).
8. CII. (2010). FMCG Roadmap to 2020. Report prepared by Booz & Company Inc. for the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/media/file/CII_FMCG-Roadmap-to-2020.pdf. Accessed on October 28, 2015.
9. Craig, C. S., & Douglas, S. P. (2011). Empowering rural consumers in emerging markets. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 6(4), 382–393.
10. Freling, T. H., Crosno, J. L., & Henard, D. H. (2011). Brand personality appeal: conceptualization and empirical validation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39, 392-406.
11. Greco, A. J. (1989). Representation of the Elderly in Advertising: Crisis or Inconsequence. Journal of Con-sumer Marketing, 6(1), 37–44.
12. IBEF. (2010). Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG). Report by India Brand Equity Foundation. Retrieved from Ushus-Journal of Business Management, Vol. 17, No.4 ISSN 0975-3311 38
13. http://www.ibef.org/download/FMCG-August-2015.pdf. Accessed on October 28, 2015.
14. IBEF. (2015). Fast Moving Consumer Goods. Report by India Brand Equity Foundation. http://www.ibef.org/download/FMCG-August-2015.pdf. Accessed on October 28, 2015.
15. Italian Trade Commission. (2008). Market survey on India‟s cosmetics and personal care sector. New Delhi: Trade Promotion Section of the Italian Embassy. Retrieved on http://italiaindia.com/ images/ uploads/ pdf/cosmetics-personal-care%20-2008.pdf. Accessed on March 17, 2015.
16. Koslow, S., Sasser, S., & Riordan, E. (2006). Do marketers get the advertising they need or the advertising they deserve? Journal of Advertising, 35(3), 81–101.
17. Kotni, V. V., & Prasad, D. (2012). Prospects and problems of Indian rural markets. Zenith International Journal of Business Economics & Management Research, 2(3), 200-213.
18. Kumar, L. R. (2007). Role of marketing communication in enhancement of quality of life in rural India. Intercultural Communication Studies, 16(1), 46-55.
19. Kundu, A., & Mohanan, P. C. (2009). Employment and inequality outcomes in India. In Joint Seminar on Employment and Inequality organized by the Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Directorate and Development Centre, Paris, 8, 1-43.
20. Luo, X., & De Jong, P. J. (2012). Does advertising spending really work? The intermediate role of analysis in the impact of advertising on firm value. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40, 605-624.
21. Majeed, S. (2014). Brand awareness in rural area: A case study of fast moving consumer goods in Pulwama district of J&K state. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 3(5), 50-53.
22. Manwani, H. (2015). Serving Many Indias. https://www.hul.co.in/ Images/harish-Manwani-AGM-speech-2015-serving-many-indias_ tcm1255-463778_1_en.pdf. Accessed on October 24, 2015.
23. MART. (2012). Rural growth story. MART knowledge center. Retrieved from http://www.martrural.com/docs/kn-series/MART-Rural-Growth-Story-2012.pdf.
24. Muralidharan, S. & Xue, F. (2014). Influence of TV endorser types on advertising attitudes and purchase intention among Indian rural women: an exploratory study. Asian Journal of Communication. DOI: 10.1080/01292986.2014.944923
25. Nielson Report. (2012). Emerging consumer demand: rise of the small town Indian. Retrieved from http://www.nielsen.com/ Maheshkar, Sharma and Tiwari Impact of Advertising on Branding 39
26. content/dam/ corporate/ india/ reports/ 2012/ Emerging %20 Consumer%20Demand%20%E2%80%93%20Rise%20of%20the%20Small%20Town%20Indian.pdf. Accessed on March 21, 2015.
27. Nielson Report. (2012). Global trust in advertising and brand messages. The Nielson Company. Retrieved from www.nielsen.com on March 21, 2015.
28. Pulver, J., & Vonage. (2012). Why learn from small towns? What business people are saying. In B. J.Moltz & B. McCray (Eds.), Small town rules: how big brands and small businesses can prosper in a connected economy. Que Publishing.
29. PWC. (2011). Riding the growth wave-wellness. Retrieved from https:// www.pwc.in/ assets/pdfs/publications-2011/wellness-report-15-sept.pdf.
30. Rahman, M. N. (2012). Impact of advertisement: an empirical study of FMCG products in KSA. Asian Journal of Multidimensional Research, 1(4), 1-15.
31. Rajasekar. (2015). FMCG-India. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fmcg-india-kumar-rajasekar. Accessed on October 28, 2015.
32. Solomon, M. (2004). Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having and, Being (6th Ed.). FT Prentice-Hall Upper Saddle River.
33. Stine, G. (2015). The nine principles of branding. Polaris, Inc. Retrieved from http://www.polaris-inc.com/ assets/ pdfs/ 9_principles_of_branding.pdf.
34. Technology Premier League. (2014). Website primary content. Retrieved from http://www.tpl2014.com/.
35. Tellis, G. (2009). Generalizations about advertising effectiveness in markets. Journal of Advertising Research, 49(2), 240–245.
36. The Hindu. (2011). About 70 per cent of Indians Lives in rural areas: Census report. http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/about-70-per-cent-indians-live-in-rural-areas-census-report/article2230211.ece (Accessed May 10, 2015).
37. Upadhyaya, M. (2012). Marketing in rural India: the innovative selling mantra. Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 1(10), 77- 84. Appendices
38. Whittler, T. E. (1989). "Viewers' Pro- cessing of Actor's Race and Message Claims in Advertising Stimuli." Psychology and Marketing, 6(Winter), 287-309.